Friday, September 26, 2008

Under the Covers

I just want to bury my head under the covers today. I can’t bear to watch the news or read about what’s going on in Washington DC. We got about two inches of rain in our own backyard last night and this morning, with another three inches predicted to come. I worked outside all day yesterday, preparing the barn and the corral for this deluge. So far, the stalls are dry and cozy. The corral and pasture and drainage ditches are flooding. We’re only halfway through the storm.

I’ve been outside twice already to shovel mud so the water can keep draining. Now that I’ve changed into dry clothes for the second time in four hours, I am taking a moment to reflect. There seems to be some financial parallels here. We keep digging ourselves out, but the economic weather is continuing to drown us. I’m crawling under a blankie on the couch to hide until I get my optimism back. See you when the sun comes out!

6 comments:

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

An old saying: This Too Shall Pass.

Enjoy your blankie time!

Photo Lawyer said...

Oh, I'd love the excuse to hide under a blanket on the couch, but the weather is fine out here. The bank where we have most of our liquid funds folded yesterday and was immediately purchased at a fire sale. Theoretically, we're still fine, since we were under the limits of FDIC coverage. But I have suggested to the spousal unit that spreading the funds out would probably be a good idea. I refuse to panic.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's pretty hard to be optimistic after the last 8 years. I'll be joining you under the blankie. Hope your corrals and pastures hold up to this rain.

Deejbrown said...

Just remember: Crap floats. It all goes away in the end.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gosh. Why does it have to be all of nothing, eh?

We need an even calm sea to float on.

Speaking of floating. So sorry about all your rain. I sure wish we could have some of it.
Our monsoons were over a couple weeks ago and everything is drying out like toast here. We probably won't see anymore moisture now until it snows.

And hopefully not too much...

All or nothing. All or nothing. Sheesh. :P

~Lisa

billie said...

Is this the rain from Tropical Storm Kyle?

My daughter and I were predicting after Ike and Josephine that the K one would be Keil Bay - close enough!

Take care.