Friday, April 18, 2008

Update on Silk

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and concern. Silk is doing better, drinking more water, eating normally. I think it was just the weird change of weather. Today, it was almost 80F degrees. The gnats were horrible. The horses actually were glad to wear the fly masks.

Tonight, I put fresh pine shavings in the stalls and instantly, the annoying little devils disappeared. It's a good thing because otherwise, the girls would have had to sleep in their fly masks. I hope this isn't going to continue all summer. We've never really had a problem, but now we're being invaded. The one good thing is that my entire family is constantly covered in organic bug spray. Usually, I have to remind, cajole and even threaten them to make sure that they use it before they go outside to protect themselves from the Lyme ticks.

I just went out to the barn and saw the moon rising. In two more days, it will be full, although it looks like it is already. Silk and I gazed at it as Siete munched hay. I felt very lucky.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Good news about Silk! Seems the weather everywhere is yo-yo'ing these days....snow one week, 80 degrees the next....it is hailing and thundering here right this instant, wow, it's LOUD! This weather messes with more than the horses, it tends to affect my migraines, too!

The Aging Pony said...

I'm glad Silk is feeling better! Don't they just make you crazy with worry sometimes?!

What kind of organic bug spray do you use? The bugs are horrible here, too (and it's only the middle of April!), and I'm always looking for some kind of non-toxic bug repellent.

Nice photo of the moon! :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good to hear Silk is better. It probably was the crazy weather changes. The bugs are really appearing early this year. I like the quote from Emerson.

the7msn said...

Wishing you and Silk a restful night's sleep...no gnats, no abnormal equine behavior, no worries!

detroit dog said...

great news. great photo. great quote.

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm glad that Silk is much better! That is sure good news. I know how worried you must have been. It's been a rough spring for many of us.

Victoria Cummings said...

Our bug spray of choice is called "Buzz Away" (quantumhealth.com) - but I also just got a new kind from "California Baby" that seems to work well.

billie said...

Glad to hear that Silk is better - I took the fly masks off Keil Bay and Salina when I went out to get them in last night at midnight. The nearly-full moon was so bright it was casting shadows!

Callie said...

Glad to hear Silk is on the mend. What a scary thing to go through.

Janet Roper said...

Glad to hear Silk is better - bet you're breathing easier!
Harmony,
Janet Roper

Deejbrown said...

Our animals are always on the edge of driving us crazy. Guess that is the price of loving them! Am very relieved about Silk--good job, mommy. And good job to your hubby too, who knew a sick horse when he saw one.