Sunday, October 28, 2012

Moved the Girls


 We waffled about moving the horses to our friends’ concrete block barn up the hill from us. I even called the woman who was going to trailer them up for me and told her that we had decided they should stay here. Then, my husband went out to the barn and looked at the pine trees that line the property between us and our nearest neighbor. Last hurricane, one had come down on our side. He pointed out that the remaining trees could hit the barn, not to mention the big hickory tree that is next to it. He said we need to move them just to be safe.

So, two hours later, the horses were in the concrete block barn. Last time, we just walked them up the road, but it was stressful for them because there were these crazy barking dogs in one of the yards. And with my arm still being pretty much useless, we didn’t want to take any chances. 

Silk seemed to settle in easily. Siete is a bit anxious. I hope that the wind and rain won’t be too bad tomorrow morning around 7 am so I can drive up and feed them breakfast. Looks like by noon, we’ll be in the thick of it.

My anxiety level dropped dramatically as soon as the horses were safely tucked away. I have no doubt that we did the right thing. My friends who own the barn promise they will be able to get out there and feed and water the girls throughout the storm.  They’re the kind of people that I can trust to do what needs to be done. I’m so thankful that I have such kind friends and neighbors.

I’ll check in again tomorrow.

11 comments:

the7msn said...

I think you've made a very wise decision. Thinking about you and your girls. Stay safe.

~Allison said...

Stay safe!!

Kate said...

That's a big relief, and even if nothing bad happens at your property, it was a good call. Glad they're settling in well, and that they are nearby. I'm thinking of all of you on the east coast affected by the storm and hoping all will be OK.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

I know it will ease your mind not to worry over your girls' well being.

This is the first time I've been on the premises with Val for a storm... quite a relief (for both of us).

Stay safe!

Oak in the Seed said...

It's hard to make this decision but a good sign to feel settled that everyone is safe, if not happy for the moment.
Be safe...if not happy for the moment too. And hope to be blogging with you this time next week.
:)

Lori Skoog said...

Smart move. Keep us posted.

Annette said...

Glad that you moved the girls. Let us know how you are when the storm has blown through.

Anonymous said...

Putting you in my prayers for God to protect all animals and people who are put at risk by this storm. Judy (Indiana)

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think it was a good decision to move the girls. There are so many trees around and the sustained wind they are predicting could cause a lot of them to come down. Stay safe.

billie said...

Sending good thoughts for all in the path of Sandy - keep us posted so we know you're all okay!

Wolfie said...

Your girls will be fine. I think you did the right thing. Take care of yourself!