Friday, October 26, 2012

Here We Go Again


So, it looks like Hurricane Sandy is planning to stop by for a visit. We’re not sure when she’s coming, or if she intends to make a hit a bit further south. Whatever her track, we’re in for some mighty winds and lots of rain. The only good news is that my husband arrived home after a month long run of gigs all over the country. I’ve never been so happy to see him!


My big decision will be whether I move the horses to my friend’s concrete block barn. I did during the last hurricane, and it was a good decision until after the storm. The horse that lives in the barn is the queen and she hated Siete. We had to do an emergency evacuation right after the storm was over, which was very stressful for my girls. This time, the queen is in the lower part of the barn so they can all be separated. But I would need to trailer them up the road since I can’t walk them up and risk messing up my arm. I will wait until Sunday to decide what to do. Hopefully, by then Sandy’s path will be more certain.

Meanwhile, we’re stocking up on food and gas, cleaning the generator, buying wood pellets in case the barn floods. I think back to the morning that the hurricane hit last year, and the memory is still vivid. Huge trees were crashing down outside, and we hid in the basement with the cat and dog watching the sheets of rain and the tops of the trees flailing through the little windows in the door. Makes me think that I should put the horses in the other barn since being in our little shed stalls would be terrifying in that kind of wind.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

10 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Let's hope nothing happens again. Better to be safe than sorry about where the horses should be, once you see what's happening with the weather.
I'm glad you have an option and will be thinking of you as I watch the weather channel.

Victoria Cummings said...

Lori - It looks like it might hit further south so we will just get a wicked rainstorm. I'm hoping! We'll decide about moving the girls tomorrow as the weather men tell us more about the track. What I realize is how lucky I am to have great neighbors who will help me with the horses. There are so many horses in my community, and so many opinionated owners, but when an emergency happens, people really come together to lend a hand. I'm very fortunate!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm hoping it won't be very bad this time. The media always seems to hype things out of proportion. It's good that you have a safe place to put the girls just in case though. Fingers crossed that this turns out to be nothing much.

billie said...

We're seeing the very edge of things here this morning - wind but no rain yet, though definitely cloudy skies both yesterday and today.

I hope all of us escape anything serious and that everyone at your place can stay put safely and with no big stress!!

Oak in the Seed said...

Knowing your girls are safe will give you peace, as having your husband back home already has.
We are hunkering down and learning new things about managing anxiety.
Be safe.

Victoria Cummings said...

Arlene - I hope you're right! Looks like it's going to come in below us.

Victoria Cummings said...

Billie - Thinking of you as I watch the storm heading towards North Carolina - please take care.

Victoria Cummings said...

DJ - I hope that you will not experience too much wind - that was the really scary part about Irene last year. There's a big difference between 50 mph and 70 mph winds. At 70 mph, the trees were laying down on the ground or just breaking in half. I'll be thinking of you a lot over the next few days. Stay safe!

Strawberry Lane said...

Victoria, when I heard the weather news I immediately thought of you. So glad you have the option of your neighbor's barn. Here's hoping it passes by you and everything will be fine.

Wolfie said...

Hope the storm isn't too bad for you!