Friday, May 7, 2010

My Two Smart Horses


Today was so beautiful and sunny, and it just felt like the right time to try the circle game with Siete. I placed the five piles of hay in a big circle about 20 feet apart. Then, I left some hay in the barn for Silk to eat and opened the gate between the corral and the barn so the horses could choose where they wanted to go. I sat down on my chair in the shade in the pasture and began reading a book.

Siete soon wandered out, curious, as always, about what was going on. She stopped to eat at the first pile of hay. After she had been munching for a little while, I approached her and asked her to move to the next pile. She did without any hesitation. We followed the same action around the circle. I would ask her to move on to the next pile. She did and stopped to eat. After a few bites, I’d ask her to go to the next one and she would walk calmly to our next stop. We went around the circle twice. Then, when we got to the last pile, after she took a bite, she shook her head at me and ran back into the barn. She stood in the doorway of her stall and looked at me, as if to say, “See? Wasn’t I a good kid? But that’s enough of that game.” I went outside the pasture, found a piece of carrot and gave her a treat, thanking her for her cooperation.

Then, I put a flake of hay in the pasture next to my chair and sat down . As soon as I started to read, Silk ambled out of the barn to join me. She put her nose on my hand to greet me and then began to eat the hay next to me. Siete came out again too and grazed on the grass about 40 feet away, not looking at us. It was so relaxing, and the weather was perfect. We stayed like this for about twenty minutes.

Siete finally came over and stood next to her mother. Silk immediately took half of the hay that was left and pushed it firmly under my chair with her nose. I started to laugh and thanked her and kept on reading. Siete took a big mouthful of hay and walked up behind me. I couldn’t figure out what she was going to do but I ignored her. She dropped the hay on me all over my head and my book. I laughed so hard and reached up to rub her face. Satisfied, she moved away and began grazing again.

I’ve noticed that Silk stays away from us when Siete and I are interacting. I explained to Mama Silk before I began practicing the Waterhole Rituals what I was going to do and why I thought it would be good for me and Siete. She gets it, like any good mother would.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool stuff - and interesting too! I think horses often have a sense of humor, too.

Lori Skoog said...

What you are doing is so interesting. I love the interaction between the three of you! It was not very nice here today, cold...some rain and lots of wind (more to come).

detroit dog said...

Perfect the first time out! (And Siete has a great sense of humour.)

Life seems so content; wonderful feeling, isn't it?

Grey Horse Matters said...

It does seem like an interesting way of interacting with the horses. Don't you just love a horse with a sense of humor! When I was turning Nate out today he blew his nose on the front of my shirt 3 times and I know it was on purpose.

Unknown said...

LOL! Next time you've got to at least chew on some of that hay.

What a fascinating process.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom. Hope you all had a lovely day.

Rising Rainbow said...

A little herd dynamics as teaching tools, very cool.

Hope you had a nice Mother's Day!